Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Striking fear into the hearts of children

I had a truly revelatory experience yesterday.
Between classes, I went downstairs to get some coffee. The hot water machine (all our coffee is instant here, unfortunately) is in a sort of informal student lounge where a lot of the kids hang out between classes. While there, I happened to run into one of my students. I asked how she was doing.
"Oh, so-so," she said.
"Just so-so?" I asked.
"Well, nervous. Big test tonight!" she explained.
"Ah," I assured her, "I'm sure you'll do fine."
Now, I hadn't checked my lesson plans for the evening yet at this point. So imagine my surprise when I got back upstairs and discovered that the big test she'd mentioned was in my class! I didn't know just what to make of this - hey, I'm not such a tough teacher. (No one here is, really. Our grading policy is very lenient.) And this girl was also one of my better students; in fact, she did very well on the test, as it turned out. I wonder how I'd managed to forget how scary test day can be, and me being surrounded by schoolchildren for the past three weeks! It's hard to imagine anyone ever being that scared of little ol' me, really. Hope I don't let the power go to my head.

No comments: