Saturday, November 15, 2008

It hasn't snowed a single flurry (and it won't), but...

It's happened a couple of times now, going back a couple of weeks. Christmas decorations, everywhere. There is, after all, no Thanksgiving to get in the way here. A city obsessed with shopping is even more susceptible to the decorations, of course, and a shopping-obsessed city in Asia...well, you can imagine.

Right, but what is it that has happened a couple of times now? Well, I'm walking past some elaborate storefront with garlands and ornaments everywhere, or a Christmas tree at the mall. And I think - just for a second, but I think it just the same - "But it hasn't even gotten cold yet!"

Power of suggestion is that strong, sometimes.

Equally amusing, I think, is an ad I saw recently from some credit card company, encouraging us all to do a list of extremely expensive things at least once before we die. One of them was "spend Christmas on a tropical island." Technically, I will be doing that this year.

No comments: