Wednesday, May 6, 2009

To err is human, to forgive divine

...but nobody ever called me divine.

Some of you probably remember my rather nasty romantic misadventure a while back. My wounds have healed, of course, and I'm now happily involved with someone else. I don't know what she's up to now and I wish her no ill will. That said, I haven't forgotten how crushing it is to meet someone perfect for you, only to learn she'd rather be with someone she really ought to stay the heck away from. (Yeah, I know, that means she's not perfect for you by definition. Consider it the curse of a really wonderful first date...it does inflate expectations!)

In any case, that experience has had a couple of lasting impacts on me, like any sordid affair will. One of those is that when I hear stories about people messing around with their bosses and ending up in big trouble, I feel a lot less sympathy and a lot more schadenfreude (sp? - hey, I speak French, not German) than I used to. Even in cases where I really know I shouldn't laugh or feel anything but sympathy. Like this one, from right here in Singapore.

I want to feel bad for the both of them. But I keep thinking of what my best friend back in DC used to say when his prudish girlfriend hassled him about his fondness for South Park: "I don't want to like it, but I do!"

Exactamundo.

No comments: