Monday, October 5, 2009

Generation gaps within a generation

I'm used to making music-references that go over the heads of people my own age. (The all time champ was the time in France when a friend came to a party with a painted-on mole on her face..."Just like Cindy Crawford," she explained. "Yeah," I replied, "and Peggy Lee had one too." Of course, nobody else in the room knew who Peggy Lee was.) But for some reason, I never see them coming, no matter how many times things like that have happened in the past.

So was I reminded yesterday while Gyle and I were waiting in a taxi queue outside a mall. After we'd been waiting a few minutes - which can seem a lot longer when you're outside on a Singapore afternoon and you want to go home - she commented on the cab shortage by singing. "Where have all the taxis gone...you know that song?"

I replied that I did, but it sounded to me like she didn't have the tune quite right. It took a few minutes of comparing notes before I figured out that I was thinking of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" and she was thinking of "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" Oops.

No comments: