Friday, April 16, 2004

Baby Workout!

So, after a month and a half, I find it my turn to lead Exercise Time for the first time on Monday. I know not what to make of this honor.

Exercise time is the first event of every day at our school. One of the English teachers leads an exercise routine set to three songs of our choosing and two songs from the kindy CD, the latter two usually being something either educational in English or encouraging good manners or both. It's often hard to get the kids to play along, but it's a lot of fun to watch when they do. For the past few weeks, we've been treated to 50 or so five-year-olds dancing to "Video Killed the Radio Star" - and singing the title line at the top of their little lungs, even though I'm sure they don't know what it means. Too cute. I'll miss that image, especially now that it'll be my turn to lead the event for a few weeks.
I do have my music tape ready to go. I settled on three energetic selections from a mix-CD I burned just before I left DC: "You Can't Kill Hope With a Gun" by The Kennedys (my own subtle reaction to the popularity of toy pistols among my kids lately, not that I expect them to take a lesson from it all), "Montego Bay" by Bobby Bloom (nice perky melody, good for warming up), and "When My Dreamboat Comes Home" by Fats Domino, just for fun - can't get the kids started on oldies too early. Now, of course, I have to figure out what exercises to perform along to those songs for the 10-15 minutes I'll be up there. I will probably wind up following the advice I've gotten so far from the more senior teachers: "when in doubt, do jumping jacks. The kids love 'em." Good to know! I can't wait to discuss in depth how this is going to turn out.

No comments: