Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Worst. Website. Evvvvvverrrrrrr

Being as my old GRE scores are expired and I've been eager to get the ball rolling on my grad school applications but most of the universities aren't even letting you start filling out the forms yet, it seemed like a good time to get rolling on taking the GRE again. And, well, I'm glad I got the registration out of the way.

Why am I glad it's over? Because the GRE registration website is easily the least user friendly site I have ever stumbled across. It's a disaster, start to finish. It crashes regularly, it won't let you look up anything too specific, and although there's a lot of information there, it doesn't really tell you how to find it. And if you happen to be overseas and in the market for the computer based test (only paper and pencil tests are available in much of Asia), you'd think there'd be a list somewhere on the site of which countries have the computer option available. You'd think, but you'd be wrong. It's only by sheer guesswork that I settled on Manila and Singapore as my two closest options. If you click on a country that doesn't have the CAT, it'll just kick you back to a page that encourages you to try the paper and pencil version instead. But anyone who knows anything about the GRE knows you're much better off with the CAT. Grrr.

On the bright side, it is a nice excuse to go to Singapore in August, something I was thinking of doing anyway. So I have a working vacation to look forward to in just under two months! And the application process is in motion at last.

No comments: