Wednesday, September 1, 2004

Just another s***ty day in paradise

Okay. I like adventure as much as anyone, and I know all about how that which does not kill us makes us stronger and how crises bring out the best in most people, but folks, enough is enough.
Today, we ring in seven days without running water. Our county made the front page of today's China Post as a candidate for a disaster area. (I wanted to post a link, but the article doesn't seem to be online yet.) The reason is apparently that the typhoon landed an unusually large amount of mud in our reservoir, which has made it impossible for the waterworks to purify it fast enough to serve everyone - or, apparently, anyone. I don't really see how much difference purification makes in a country where you have to boil your drinking water anyhow, but hey, what do I know?

And the "good" news? We can apparently expect to get our water back in four more days. Blogging may be light until then as I try to avoid getting cholera!

The mess has, however, brought out the best in most of my neighbors. I have been pleasantly surprised at the cooperation and courtesy I've seen at the water stations afterhours as everyone drags his or her collection of buckets up to the big tanks they've set up. Still, when the silver lining is a lack of rioting in the streets, you know things are pretty darned bad.

No comments: