Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Don't go away, we'll be right back!

Just wanted to drop in to apologize for my long absence, which will have to go on a bit longer after this. Nothing is particularly wrong; things have just been extremely busy at work at the moment and the Internet situation there has gone from bad to worse lately. Also, I'm approaching crunch time on my grad school applications, if only because some universities set deadlines as early as December 1 but won't even let you see their forms, much less start filling them out, until mid-September. I wonder if there's some arrogant ulterior motive behind that involving discouraging less serious applicants. But oh well.

A few tidbits from my recent life:
1. I'm finally sending out the postcards from my trip this weekend. Yes, I know I've been back for over a month. Yes, I've learned my lesson about putting off writing postcards until after the trip is over. If you don't receive one from me in the next week or two, I probably don't have your postal address. Don't be shy about updating me!

2. Trina picked up a couple of the Chronicles of Narnia books last week, having never read them before (which suprises me - they're right up her alley). This has cut down further on my blogging time, as I couldn't resist re-reading them myself. I'm a bit miffed, though, that they've resorted to numbering the books in the order in which the events in them take place rather than the order in which they were written. (I.e. "The Magician's Nephew" is now #1 rather than #6, even though it's full of references to some of the previous books which will go over the head of anyone who hasn't read those first, notably the story of how the wardrobe became enchanted.) I did at least prevail upon Trina to buy them in the "old" order. In any case, the books are just as magical as they were when I was 12. I don't think I ever actually read "The Last Battle" all the way through - I seem to recall not liking the first few chapters very much and then skipping ahead to the last chapter just to see how the saga ended. Maybe now I'll finally finish the job. I certainly hope the Harry Potter generation is reading these too!

3. A little bird told me "Magnum PI" is coming out on DVD. I'd already been thinking of buying a DVD player, now I guess I'll have to. (Compatibility is an issue, of course, but some DVDs are now universal anyway.) And no, I haven't forgotten about Tom Selleck's politics.


I'll be back on a regular basis as soon as things calm down over here! If they calm down over here.

No comments: