Monday, August 2, 2004

Random grousing

So I head downstairs around lunchtime to clock out of kindy and into language school (the books for the two are kept separately), and the receptionist tells me Century 21 called. "You need to pay your rent for July."

"No, I don't, because I paid it three weeks ago on the day it was due."

"But they call."

But they call. The language barrier strikes again, since I can't just call back and tell them I specifically remember handing the money to the woman behind the counter and showing her my envelope with the address written on it in Chinese so she could write the receipt.

And then doubt seeps in. Did I get a receipt at all? I think I did. If I did, then I know exactly where I would have put it, but did I? At the moment, I can't even run home to check as it's raining too hard to venture home. Besides, there's the principle of the thing. Why should I inconvenience myself over their mistake?

If I didn't get a receipt, let 'em just try to screw me on the rent without being able to talk directly to me (only one guy in the office speaks English). This would happen just when my finances were starting to look really good, now, wouldn't it? I know it'll probably all work out fine, but it's a hassle I really didn't need on a Monday.

At least it's a pretty good Monday. I got some really good writing done yesterday for the first time in a while, and my plans for next week's big trip are finally starting to take shape (and precedence over my GRE practice, which is finally showing some results!).

No comments: