Saturday, October 30, 2004

Two out of three ain't bad

Well, the mini-crisis of recommendations came to a close this morning. I finally heard back from one of the back-up professors I had approached. His response couldn't possibly be any more lukewarm (i.e. "I don't know how helpful it would be to you, the class was five years ago," etc.). But it is a recommendation from a respected professor at a well-known university (which I prefer to keep anonymous on the blog, as y'all have probably noticed by now), so I suspect it'll help me about as much as anything would at this point.

I must say, this week has made me appreciate the two other professors I already have on board even more than I already did. They both agreed without any reservation to help out, and never gave the slightest indication that I was unworthy in any way. In a field where ego seems to reign supreme on a level you see with surgeons and pro-athletes, that's a nice surprise. I hope, if lightning strikes and I ever end up in their shoes, that I'll remain humble and willing to help others.

In the meantime, I'm back hard at work on the remaining applications. It's hard not to get discouraged when you look at the statistics (600 applications a year for 18 slots?!), but you'll never know unless you try. Still, I guess it's a good thing I like my current job as well as I do!

No comments: