Friday, May 23, 2008

A month, already?

Actually, it's been more than a month, hasn't it? Today does mark one month on the job, which means it's been a month and a week since I arrived. And it feels more like three days, except when I'm in the neighborhood of the hotel where I stayed during those first several days. (I still go back there quite a bit for dinner and such.) That area, of course, already felt like old times to me on the morning I arrived, since it was also the area I knew best from my prior visit here. It's still a comforting escape anytime.

So what can we make of the first month and change in Singapore? Since I am still job hunting (or really, "job hunting again" would be closer to the truth, since I did stop trying for a while there in order to concentrate on finishing up in Paris), I don't think it's appropriate to talk much about my current job in public. Suffice to say it's going pretty well for an internship. I am learning a lot about strategy, as well as making one's own way in a startup business. While I do like it, I don't see myself staying here long term, which is a pretty good incentive to get back into the swing of looking elsewhere. Now that I've had a week to get used to the idea that I really am done with the MBA and now I need to pay for it, it's on to finding ways to do that.

I am planning to look primarily here and I figure my chances are best here, but I am also still looking elsewhere. For now I'm thinking of my stay in Singapore as a six-month trial sort of thing (I'm not wedded to that length of time; it's just a good working number). I knew before I even got here that I wouldn't necessarily love it on a permanent basis just because I loved it as a tourist. So far I do like it - the weather is a bit muggy sometimes, but one thought of December in Luxembourg is all I need to get over any complaints about that! I do miss Paris like I knew I would, but the job market is probably much bigger here. We'll see soon enough. I can't say I really feel at home just yet, but that's probably mostly because I'll be moving again at the end of June and most of my stuff is still on its way here.

The only thing I really don't like is that, having won the epic battle over finishing my degree on time, my only reward is another battle to find a job in this economy. But that would be an issue no matter where I'd moved to. So yes, it's been a pretty good first month.

No comments: