Tuesday, July 21, 2009

One of those things I never questioned

For as long as I've been aware of Woodstock, I've been hearing that a varying number of babies were born there. But the evidence suggests otherwise. Who knew?

For what it's worth, I don't buy the explanation the article offers:
There is a theory that neither mother nor child particularly want Woodstock to define their lives, and have chosen to keep their distinction a private matter.

I could see that being the case with the child, depending on whether or not his or her parents sold their VW Bus and became Republicans like so many flower children did, or whether they're among the even more annoying variety who are still hippies 40 years later - and either way, depending on whether or not the kid rebelled against them and to what extent. But the mother? Everybody I've ever met who was at Woodstock (or claims to have been there) never shuts up about it. And yes, that includes the ones who are now Republicans. People just love to tell how they went from one extreme to the other and you will someday too.

No comments: