Monday, December 14, 2009

The mother of all business trips, or As long as I'm moving...

Friday afternoon saw the latest of a series of altercations with the boss regarding why we weren't making more of an impact. I told him for the umpteenth time that he really needed to start taking the US market more seriously, since breaking through there will give us the resources to hit the ground running in almost any other country (and we definitely don't have that yet). This time, though, he listened. I'm not sure why I got through to him this time where I was never able to before, but I did.

He agreed with me. And then he asked me to write up an itinerary for a two month trip to the US, starting shortly after the New Year. So, in January, it's off to San Francisco for a few weeks, then Las Vegas for a conference in February, and probably at least three other cities. I don't know which cities yet, but I could be visiting as far afield as Boston. The idea of traveling with my boss for that long isn't the most appealing thing I've heard. But for reasons that aren't important here, it would have been a big mistake for either of us to try to pull this trip off alone (and I was deeply afraid he was going to try), so dealing with him will be an acceptable price.

Whatever the drawbacks, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities, I've never been to Las Vegas, and I haven't been "home" in over three years. So this was quite the early Christmas present. Stay tuned for more details.

No comments: