Thursday, July 1, 2004

The Subway Dilemma

A funny thing occurred to me last weekend in Taipei. I don't get up there nearly as often as I'd like these days, and while Longtan is great as far as immersion in Taiwanese culture is concerned, Taipei is still, well, the big city.

Which means, among other things, that they have Subways there. Not the trains (although they have those too), but the restaurants. And when you've been away from most Western foods for a while, things like Subway become a treasured delicacy. Fast food does exist here: McDonalds and KFC are just about as easy to find here as they are in America, and there are a few Burger Kings here and there. But Subway - which is at least a slightly healthier choice than the others to boot - is found only in Taipei. So that's one more treat to look forward to when I go up there.

The problem? There's a lot more of everything in Taipei, including all manner of food options. So I always find myself feeling like I should try something more local rather than something I could always get back home anyway. The trouble is that "home" at the moment is a small town where I can't always - or ever - get that old familiar taste. Sometimes the more exotic choices kill my Subway cravings, but sometimes I go ahead with the guilty pleasure.

I think there may be a brilliant political theory thesis floating around in there somewhere.

No comments: