Thursday, January 10, 2008

My take on NH, and do I have one?

I don't know what to make of the unexpected results any more than anybody else does. My favorite theory so far is that the spike in support for Clinton was a backlash against the predictably sexist clucking from the media about her not-quite-crying jag. I hope that's the case, anyway, I really do. She's still not my first choice (Edwards is, but I don't think he'll be in the running much longer), but the catty media coverage she's been getting is just disgusting. Speaking of which, I don't buy into the argument that the Dems shouldn't nominate her because she'll attract so much venom from the Republicans and some parts of the media. That will be true of whomever gets the nomination. If anything, it makes me more uncomfortable to think any of the other Dems might think they're not in for the same treatment.

On the Republican side, I'm a bit less surprised - but just a bit. I'll give McCain credit where it's due for an impressive comeback, but it's interesting how we're still seeing the most support for those who are least popular within the party. The talking heads on CNN have been saying the religious right will still sink McCain like they did in 2000, and I think that's probably right. I'm not going to go into which Republican I hope gets the nomination, to the extent that I even have any preference. I keep thinking of that old cliche about how the Democrats couldn't wait to run against Reagan and the Republicans were thrilled at the chance to run against Bill Clinton.

On a more personal note...nothing has really changed. Just about everything is still up in the air. A sixteen-month MBA seemed like such a great idea, and it does have its benefits, but at this point I wouldn't mind having a class or two to keep me busy while I wait for the job applications to be sorted out!

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Dave will you still be in the benelux area in March? I will likely be in Brussels from March 12-16. (Although I'm likely to be flying home on the 16th).

Let me know

Cheers,

P

zero_b said...

Happy(er) 2008, Dave! may you find the job of your dreams. Or just one that pays the loans. And may your candidate win this time :)

Best,
Patricia