Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Someday Finally Comes

Thanks to the miracle of the Internet, I can usually stay pretty well up to date on what's what in music, as in politics and other things that interest me. But the very big news of John Fogerty's new CD had somehow eluded me until I picked up a copy in Taoyuen yesterday.

And let's not underestimate what a major event this really is. In 32 years since the demise of CCR, this is only his seventh* album - and the other six include one all-covers collection and one live set consisting mostly of old Creedence songs. So another CD of all-new songs is really something else. Besides, given what's in the news these days, it's no time for the genius behind "Fortunate Son" and "Who'll Stop the Rain" to be silent. Sure enough, the title track to "Deja Vu All Over Again" is all about the war and how depressingly predictable it's been.

I got home late last night and only had time to listen to it once, and my preliminary feeling is that it's not quite up to the level of his best. But it's a nice surprise all the same, and sometimes the great records do take a while to grow on you. Thanks, John, and God bless!


*Excluding the Hoodoo album, which has never been released legitimately and all but certainly never will be. Bootlegs abound, but I've heard it isn't very good.

No comments: