Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Tell me again why health care is a losing issue for progressives?

I had a pretty bad cold over the weekend. It's an occupational hazard of spending so much time around children. I was concerned about losing my voice - doing my job is literally impossible without it, and we have no sick leave at my school - so I went to the doctor this afternoon.

I hadn't made an appointment, and I wasn't even able to communicate verbally with anyone in the office except the doctor himself. (Most doctors in Taiwan speak English. There's some kind of requirement that they study in an English-speaking country at some point.) I showed my health-care card at the front desk, paid my fee, saw the doctor, got my prescription, and had it filled at the pharmacy across the street.

Without an appointment, the whole procedure took ten minutes and cost about $4 US.

I truly hope there's a special place in Hell for the DC insurance lobby.

No comments: