Monday, November 12, 2007

When it rains, it pours

Literally and figuratively, and it's about time.

I'm spending the next week or so in Paris, both for class and for job interviews. That's right, interviews, plural. Four of them. All that angst of the past few weeks paid off handsomely, who would've seen that coming? And all at once to boot. I just hope I can keep up the momentum now that a bit of good news has come my way. It's embarrassing to admit I have ever fallen into the trap of taking the first job offer I get, but I did so as recently as last spring and I'd hate to make the same mistake again already. Besides, I haven't actually been offered a job yet, just an interview. Or rather, four interviews - I do like the sound of that, as you can see.

Some of my friends are probably thinking I always sell myself short on these things. Maybe they're right. Let's leave it at that for now!

The weather wasn't any less gloomy for much of the weekend (although the sun is out now that it's Monday - go figure!), but something about Paris just looks right in gray weather. I can't explain it, but if you've been here, you probably know just what I mean. With class out for the weekend and the interviews starting Monday, the weekend was good for just hanging around those slick streets doing and thinking whatever came to mind. It turns out that Billy Joel was right and soaking in the European rain isn't half bad if you're in the right mood for it. It hit me last night just as the sun was probably going down - but one couldn't tell for certain with all the clouds - that whatever else is not going so well in my life, there I was wandering up and down the Champs-Elysees with all the time in the world to window-shop to my heart's content. I think that sort of thing takes away a person's right to complain for the time being, at least.

I'll keep the finer details of the interviews to myself for now, as you never know who will read your blog. Suffice to say there are some great opportunities that might be opening up soon. It's a relief to have that to look forward to.

No comments: