Thursday, December 6, 2007

Here's one I hadn't run into before

I had a job interview yesterday, here in Luxembourg. It turned out that the company in question had a hiring freeze on. Why, then, were they interviewing people? It seemed somebody there saw my CV and thought I might be right for a traineeship for the same company but based in another city. (I'll keep the details off the radar here for the time being, as I have a lot of "maybes" in at least four different cities at the moment.) By the end of the interview, the woman interviewing me said she would pass my details on to the folks in charge of that program and we'd be in touch shortly.

Of course I'm pretty happy about that outcome, but I'm still wondering why they were recruiting here if they're not actually hiring here. Odd. Of course, since the deadline for the traineeship program has come and gone without me ever even hearing of it but I got my resume to them anyhow, I have no complaints. Just trying to figure it all out is all.

Still no word on just what I'll be up to right after Christmas, by the way. Most of the permanent job leads I have - in fact, all of them - will necessarily not be starting until summer, either because of work permit issues or because the program doesn't start until then anyway or both. Once I do nail an offer down (and I'm guardedly optimistic that will happen pretty soon, as I have at least six possibilities of varying degrees), I'm thinking I might look for a short-term teaching gig somewhere to pass the time. But there are still a couple of internship possibilities that could start sooner, so I can't even plan for any interim activities just yet. Since my coursework still isn't quite done, perhaps that's for the best!

No comments: