Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Another theory blown to bits

Five years ago, my then-girlfriend and I had a mix tape which spent most of the summer in my car, as did the both of us. One of the songs on the tape was Joni Mitchell's "Carey." Insightful as we were, we both thought the song was about bondage because of the refrain: "Carey get out your cane/I'll put on some silk." How very racy for 1971, y'know?

I lost the tape along with Sarah, but I finally got around to buying Blue in Singapore this past summer. (How that masterpiece avoided finding its way into my collection for so long is a good question, but never mind...) Last weekend, I happened to read the lyric sheets for the first time. And she's really saying "I'll put on some silver." Grrr.

For what it's worth, here is an interesting page about the story behind the song. Apparently the Mermaid Cafe was real, but a picture is lacking.

No comments: