Tuesday, November 30, 2004

My turn to write a recommendation

If any of my dozen-or-so readers are also in or near Taipei, allow me to put in a plug for Jake's Country Kitchen in Tien Mou. They're a breakfast-all-day place (always a big plus with me) whose breakfasts actually resemble something you could get at a roadside diner in America. (Everybody and their brother sells waffles in Taiwan, but good ones are a rarity.) Their other specialty is Mexican food, and I discovered last night that they also do that very well. They are a bit expensive, but in light of the logistics involved in getting all the necessary ingredients here, I can accept that. We were even treated to our first blast of top-40 style Christmas music, piped in on the Internet from a station in Hawaii.

I hate to admit it, but I have been getting a bit tired of the fairly limited food choices we have in Longtan lately. (I'm not alone: a colleague of mine went to London for a weekend recently - and came back raving about how wonderful the food was. In London. Isn't that sad?) A taste of home last night was most welcome!

No comments: